Port of West Sacramento
Throughout its history, the Port has served the agricultural, natural resources, and construction sectors in Northern California.
About the Port
The Sacramento-Yolo Port District was formed under the California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 6800 et seq. in 1947 to operate the Port of Sacramento (name changed to Port of West Sacramento in 2008), a deep-water port which opened for commerce in 1963. The Port is located 79 nautical miles from San Francisco with direct access to Suisun Bay provided via the 40-mile Deep Water Ship Channel, which is maintained at a depth of 30 feet by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Throughout its history, the Port has served the agricultural, natural resources, and construction sectors in Northern California.
Today, the Port’s primary cargos are rice (exports) and cement (imports). The Port’s primary cargo facility is the North Terminal located at 2895 Industrial Boulevard in West Sacramento; the larger maritime complex includes two private terminals on the ship channel: Cemex (cement imports) and Yara (fertilizer imports). In 2006, the City of West Sacramento assumed management responsibility for the Port and in 2013 the Port Commission adopted a landlord operating model. As of July 1, 2013, SSA Marine leases and operates the Port’s North Terminal maritime facilities. The Port manages several other non-maritime leases and owns over 600 acres of vacant, developable property in West Sacramento. The Port collaborates with the City of West Sacramento on development projects which support mutual economic development goals.
The Port is governed by a five member Port Commission. Per statute, the West Sacramento City Council appoints four commissioners, which members may be members of the City Council but shall be residents of the City of West Sacramento. One commissioner shall be appointed by the Board of Supervisors of Yolo County, which member may be a member of the Board of Supervisors but shall be a resident of the City of West Sacramento.